Illuminating the News for the Students by the Students

Lamplighter Media Productions

Lamplighter Media Productions

Lamplighter Media Productions

Addie Brown

Addie Brown, Broadcast Editor

Addie is a Senior at Dunbar and loves playing the piano, all forms of skating, and editing the weekly broadcast. Her favorite quote is "Nothing is impossible. Even the word itself says I'm possible."

All content by Addie Brown

A Non-Traditional Path

Julia Radhakrishnan, Staff Reporter May 18, 2017

Many of Dunbar’s seniors are looking forward to starting college in the fall, but some seniors will be pursuing a different path such as taking a gap year, working, or pursuing new challenges and interests....

Senior Class Sponsors Provide Graduation Information

Addie Brown, Broadcast Editor May 11, 2017

For those who missed the meeting on May 11, the senior class sponsors Mrs. Debra Reaguer and Mrs. Sarah Lubbe spoke about the final steps for graduating seniors. Graduation rehearsal will be held...

Around the World in Two Days

Julia Radhakrishnan, Staff Reporter April 17, 2017

Dunbar Cultural Society is a club that is open to students of all grades. The organization meets once a month to experience cultures from around the world. Throughout the year, DCS celebrates holidays...

Positivity Challenges Promote Kindness

Abigail Hendren, Staff Reporter March 31, 2017

According to a study conducted at the University of North Carolina, people’s daily experiences of positive emotions compound over time to build better partnerships and a better community. Following...

Retired But Not Forgotten

Julia Radhakrishnan, Staff Reporter March 29, 2017

After 27 years serving Fayette County Public Schools, Mr. Jim Adams retired on March 28. According to his wife, Mrs. Laura Adams, Mr. Adams began his career in education at the FCPS Central Office in...

Student Athlete of the Week (Brooke Hill)

March 17, 2017

This week’s Student Athlete of the Week is brought to you by The Tutoring Club of Lexington. Click here to visit their website to get caught up or get ahead! Lauren Denham sits down with junior softball...

PLD Sports Boys Gettin’ Fit

Mike Rosen, Staff Reporter March 13, 2017

The PLD Sports Boys are the strongest guys in the school, so they are sharing their strenuous day-to-day workouts*, flexing hard enough to pop a vein, and most importantly, looking good for the people...

Dunbar Students Participating in Prom Dress Drive

Abigail Hendren, Staff Reporter March 4, 2017

Because she believes that no one should have to forfeit prom due to financial reasons, Lafayette High School junior Rachael Bishop, contacted multiple representatives at schools in Lexington to help...

Leadership Lexington Youth Program Open for Sophomores

Julia Radhakrishnan, Staff Reporter February 28, 2017

The Leadership Lexington Youth Program is a year-long program for high school juniors from Lexington. The program was created by Commerce Lexington with the mission “to prepare diverse individuals for...

AP Exam Scores, usually released in July of that year, can help students gain college credit applicable to many colleges around the U.S.

AP Exam Registration is Open

Julia Radhakrishnan and Eli Blevins February 20, 2017

AP Review books are a great way to prepare and brush up on all content learned within your AP classes over the past year. A highly recommended one is the Princeton Review which is available for all AP...

PLD Book Club Loves Nicholas Sparks

Olivia Bunch and Madison Calhoon January 20, 2017

Mrs. Summer Perry's monthly book club, open to all Dunbar students, will discuss a Nicholas Sparks book during the club meeting on Jan. 23. The meeting is open to anyone whether they've read every Nicholas...

Dunbar Surprise Evacuation Due to Water Main Break

Cristina Thorson, Staff Reporter January 20, 2017

Administrators sent home the following message: "We  had a water line burst in the gym this morning around 11:15 AM, and all students had to evacuate the building. The fire department and Fayette County...

A New Incentive to Stay off Your Phone in School

Ashley Holsclaw, Staff Reporter January 10, 2017

Staying focused in class isn’t always a top priority for most students, but what happens when you get rewarded for staying off your phone and paying attention? Luckily, there is an app that is sweeping...

On Jan. 6, FCPS schools were closed, but these Dunbar students meet at Panera to study at noon. Senior Gbutue Vorkpor said he didnt want to fall behind.

District Says ‘No’ to Non-Traditional Instruction Days

Matt Jones and Cristina Thorson January 6, 2017

On Jan. 6, FCPS schools were closed, but these Dunbar students meet at Panera to study at noon. Senior Gbutue Vorkpor said he didn't want to fall behind.

Dunbar Senior Softball Player Commits to Walters State

Remy Milburn, Staff Reporter December 16, 2016

Wilson, who started playing t-ball at age four on her dad’s team, has dedicated much of her life to the sport. At Dunbar, she plays center field which she said requires speed, aggression and strong communication...

Load More Stories
Donate to Lamplighter Media Productions
$0
$600
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

Readers are encouraged to voice their opinions respectfully in regards to both the readers and writers of the publication. Comments will be pre-moderated. Posting under a pseudonym is not permitted. Please refer to our policies page for more information.
All Lamplighter Media Productions Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest