Division III Men’s Soccer Semi-Finals

Calvin College defeats the University of Chicago and advances to the finals.


Google Images Fair Use

The rivals fighting for ball control.

The University of Chicago and Calvin College have developed an intense rivalry in Division III men’s soccer. The 2018 soccer season started on August 31 for both the Maroons (U of C) and Knights (Calvin).

The U of C’s record this season was 19-2-1; Calvin College had 22 wins and 2 losses. This is the 5th consecutive year for both teams in the NCAA tournament. The University of Chicago advanced to the national semi-final for the second year in a row after losing last year to North Park University. Calvin College lost to Tufts University in the 2016 national championship.

Last year they were eliminated in the Sweet 16 by the Maroons. The championship title continues to elude both teams. The teams met early this season with Chicago prevailing 1-0. Their 2018 national semi-final date marks the third meeting in 2 years between the two teams with Calvin seeking their first goal and first win against Chicago.

Calvin College is lead by head coach Ryan Souders and team captain Trent Vegter #6. Mike Babst is the head coach for the Maroons and Matthew Koh #10 from Santa Monica, California, is team captain. This is the last opportunity for both captains to play for the championship title.

Chicago’s standout players include Matthew Koh #10 who holds the title for the most career assists, senior Max Lopez #9 possesses the most career goals, and junior Dayo Adeosun #17 claims this season’s greater number of assists.

Calvin College’s key players include this year’s leading scorer, senior Bobby McCaw #16, junior Ian Adams #12 who had this year’s greatest number of assists, and junior Hunter Olsen #7. Both teams boast strong goalies – Aaron Katsimpalis #1 for Chicago and Chris Morrish #1 for the Knights.

On Nov. 30, the University of Chicago and Calvin College faced off in the semi-finals of the 2018 Division III NCAA tournament. The game took place in Greensboro, NC. At the start of the semi-final, Chicago came out strong, maintaining control of the ball. However, 10 minutes into the game, the tide began to change and the Knights dominated possession.

At the twenty-seven-minute mark, Calvin College received a free kick. With 17:42 remaining in the first half, senior Bobby McCaw #16 for the Knights scored off an assist from junior Ian Adams #12 to give Calvin a 1-0 lead.

Less than two minutes later, junior Ian Adams #12 took a shot on goal. It appeared to cross in front of the goal but actually hit the crossbar bouncing in to increase the Knights lead to 2-0.

Chicago immediately retaliated as senior Matthew Koh #10 advanced down the field. He shot the ball which junior Dayo Adeosun #17 shouldered into the goal putting the Maroons on the scoreboard at 2-1.

Calvin continued to pressure Chicago. With less than 2 minutes in the half, the Knights scored again. The goal, with an assist from freshman Mason Smith #11, was scored by junior Hunter Olsen #7 further increasing Calvin’s lead over Chicago 3-1. Time ran out to end the first half.

Chicago started the second half eager to attempt a comeback when the clock stopped in the tenth minute. Senior Daniel Norton #13 of Calvin College elbowed Maroon Matthew Koh #10 in the head.

The referees issued Norton a yellow card. Chicago’s trainers escorted Koh off the field. Koh’s absence forced the Maroons to play without one of their strongest players for approximately ten minutes. Koh eventually returned to the field to continue play.

With 25 minutes remaining in the game, junior Dillon Weldy #21 for the Knights scored with a double assist from junior Ian Adams #12 and freshman Sam Twigg #23. Calvin sealed its lead over Chicago with a score of 4-1.

The Maroons fought to the end, but to no avail. The game ended with a score of 4-1 in favor of Calvin College.

The Knights outshot Chicago 15-7 and advanced to the NCAA finals.