“I’m Dropping”

Lamplighter Staff

2016-2017 Lamplighter Staff

Brooke Bledsoe, Editor-in-Chief

As graduation day approaches, I have began to realize that the cliche saying “High school is the best four years of your life,” is actually accurate. Although these four years at Dunbar have been full of ups and downs, room 203 has been one of the highlights during my time here. Lamplighter has played a big role in who I am. I have had the opportunity to record a podcast at WUKY, cover impactful events, gain new connections and be on the editorial board for three of the four years I was on staff. Coming in as a freshman, I had no idea what to expect. Emily Liu, my co-editor-in-chief and I were the first freshmen to ever be welcomed onto the staff. I never would’ve thought that as a freshman, I would find my safe place in room 203.

Serving on staff for four years has been an absolute honor. I have lived by the staff’s motto:  “Eat, Breathe and Sleep Lamplighter.” But now, as graduation day is right around the corner, I have to adjust to a life without Lamplighter. After being on the editorial board for three years, I have realized that Lamplighter

Remy Milburn
2016-2017 EICs stand next to the 2017-2018 EIC-to-be

has become a family to me. We have our ups, and we have our downs, just like any family would, and because of that, Lamplighter will always be my safe place, my home and the place where I figured out who I am.

To Emily, I will miss you so much when you go off to UPenn but I know you are going to do amazing things. Being on staff with you for four years has been the biggest blessing and I could not have made it through highschool without you. You have been my rock and have become one of my best friends. Our friendship means more to me than you will ever know.

To Turner, I wouldn’t be who I am without you. You have served as my school mom for four years, you’ve kept my secrets, and you have loved me even on my bad days. I cannot thank you enough for all that you have done for me and I cannot wait to come back and visit and see how amazing Lamplighter is doing.

To Sharon and Abby, you all will make great co editors-in-chief. You both earned such a special part in my heart and I know that you will be the best you could possibly be next year. I could not imagine a better pair to serve as editors-in-chief together.

Lamplighter will always be my safe place, my home and the place where I figured out who I am.

— Brooke Bledsoe, Editor-in-Chief

To the 2016-2017 staff, thank you so much for allowing me to be your editor-in-chief. Every single one of you, yes even you, Haris Ali, has been amazing. You all have worked so hard and it has been great watching you all grow as young journalists. Thank you for being patient with me and dealing with me on my bad days. Thank you for becoming my second family and for filling room 203 with constant laughter and love.

Although a life without Lamplighter seems impossible, I cannot wait to see where this next chapter takes me. I cannot put into words all that the Lamplighter has done for me and I am forever grateful for this experience and the life-long friendships I have made within the staff.

To the 2017-2018 staff, keep illuminating the news, for the students, by the students.