Illuminating the News for the Students by the Students

Lamplighter Media Productions

Lamplighter Media Productions

Lamplighter Media Productions

A Third Straight Title is the Goal

As we head into district, it looks like the Boys’ Soccer team has a chance to win a third straight state championship.

Dunbar’s district is one of the toughest throughout the state; they are preparing for a battle every game against teams like Lafayette, Tates Creek, LCA, and Lexington Catholic.

Dunbar has played Lafayette already and won 3-2 it was a nail-biter throughout the game with Dunbar scoring the first 2 and then Lafayette scoring 2 and then Dunbar pulled off the win with a last-minute goal.

Dunbar has taken on LCA and Catholic with a win of 3-1 against Catholic and a 4-1 win against LCA they play Tates Creek to decide the number 1 seed in the district.

PLD after district would play other teams in their region such as Henry Clay and Frederick Douglass. The Dunbar team played Henry Clay and had tied 1-1 with Henry Clay scoring a pen and then Dunbar with a last-minute goal by one of the team captains Will Harper. This game showed to Dunbar that this year’s state will be harder than any other.

The team played Douglass in the first game of the season. The game was a battle between two great teams. It started with Dunbar scoring a goal fast into the start of the game and then Douglass scored to make it 1 1 then they battled out the rest of the game and the score ended 3-3 with a tie.

Dunbar played their state rival Saint Xavier at Xavier and they pulled out a tie by the first goal and taking the lead 1-0 St. X scored a lucky goal and then after scoring they were awarded a penalty which the pen was saved by a great save by Coco and the score ended 1-1

Our Bulldogs went down to Owensboro to play 2 ranked teams in the top 25 and they won against Madisonville Northern Hopkins 5-1 and then played number 9 Daviess county and won 3-0 which has now put Dunbar number 1 ranked in the state.

Dunbar has been interviewed and filmed by plenty of news programs about their chance for a 3rd straight title such as WKYT which filmed a Dunbar practice and interviewed the coach and the captains of the team. Throughout the interview, Coach James Wray talks about how they have been training harder than ever and have it through the district and that they have the talent they need to show it. The team captains talked about how they needed to show the other teams why they were going to win a 3rd straight title.

This year for State it will be the hardest knowing that every team wants to be the team to knock out the reigning champs and it has held a lot of pressure on the team knowing that this could be the first public school to ever win a 3-pat.