PLD Lamplighter was established in 1990 as the school newspaper for Paul Laurence Dunbar High School in Lexington, KY.
The original staff held a school wide vote to name the newspaper, and The Lamplighter was chosen to represent the school namesake who held a job as an actual lamplighter in his early years.
They also felt like the name represented the newspaper’s mission to “illuminate the news for the students, by the students” and to shed light on events and activities at Dunbar.
Under the current guidance of adviser Mrs. Wendy Turner, who was awarded Kentucky High School Media Teacher of the Year in 2014, Lamplighter Student Media Productions maintains a nationally-recognized online website, as well broadcast, radio, and podcast media.
Honors and Recognitions:
- NSPA All-American with Five Marks of Distinction, 2016
- 2016 CSPA Gold Medalist
- 3rd place NSPA Feature Photo of the Year 2016
- 1st place NSPA Environmental Photo of the Year 2016
- 2016 NSPA Best of Show, 4th place
- 2016 SNO Distinguished Site
- Finalist for 2016 NSPA Online Pacemaker
- Honorable Mention for 2016 CSPA Gold Circle Award in Digital Media Sports Features (story)
- 2nd place for Best High school News Website, among other awards, in the 2015 Mark of Excellence Contest hosted by Western Kentucky University
- 1st place NSPA Multimedia Feature Story of the Year 2015, “Lighting the Torch” serial podcast
- Featured in the Lexington Herald-Leader