Lamplighter Media Productions

Filed under Features

Local Activities for Spring Break

Not going anywhere for break? Check out these outdoor local options.

There are many high school students who stay home for Spring Break. Although some people may be going to the beach and traveling, there are many activities for students to do in Central Kentucky.

Some Dunbar students are planning to attend outdoor sporting events.

“I like going to UK baseball games because I like the atmosphere of watching a college team play, also the weather was good and it’s fun to go with friends,” said sophomore Carmen Combs.

There are multiple University of Kentucky baseball and softball games over break. The baseball team plays the University of Georgia on March 30 in their new stadium located at Kentucky Proud Park, and the Kentucky softball team plays April 5-7 against Ole Miss at John Cropp Stadium.

Don Perkins, www.jessaminetrails.com
A 155-acre preserve in Jessamine County.

Besides sports, another activity some students are doing over break is spending time outdoors.

The Legacy Trail is a popular 12-mile walking and bike trail that connects downtown Lexington with neighborhoods, parks, and historic sites like the Kentucky Horse Park.

According to multiple reviews on TrailLink, the trail is well maintained and the scenery is pleasant. “There are some challenging hills but also some gentle hills to make a good workout.”

Another popular outdoor activity is hiking or rock climbing at the Red River Gorge which is located roughly 35 minutes from Lexington. It’s close to Natural Bridge, another attraction for hikers.

If you’re looking for something closer to town, you can check out the Jessamine Creek Gorge Preserve.  There is a two and a half mile trail that leads to Overstreet Falls. When walking along the creek bed you will also see many smaller waterfalls.

“I like going to the Jessamine Creek Gorge with friends. It’s super peaceful and just a great place to be,” said Junior Carolyn Swartzentruber. “There’s really no reason to stay indoors during Spring Break in Lexington.”

About the Writer
Allison O'Hara, Staff Reporter

Hi, I’m Allison O’Hara. This is my first year on Lamplighter. I’m excited to be apart of a great program here at Dunbar as going into my junior year!

I...