Football Recap

Connor Langfels, Sports Broadcast Editor

Although the Dunbar Football team’s season did not go as planned, the Dogs impressed many  with a better season than years past.

After a 3-0 start, the Dunbar Bulldogs football team looked like a team unseen since the 90’s.

Optimism was present although the thought of, “is this team really that good?” plagued them. But their difficult schedule eventually proved to be too much.

With Coach Paul Rains and staff leading the charge in the 2014 season, the past few weeks have been the toughest the Bulldogs have seen in a few years.

After the 49-35 loss to Madison Southern, the Dogs stayed positive during a difficult time, and continued to improve.

Following the loss, the Dogs came back the next week to host cross town rival Lafayette.

The Generals dominated in every aspect of the game, cruising to a 41-7 win.

After the game, players had little to no response to any questions, simply giving blank stares.

When the season was at the halfway point, and the team had a 3-3 record, the season might have easily been salvaged, but the schedule only got tougher.

Dunbar started the second half of the season with a showdown against Bryan Station. Dunbar competed well throughout the game, but lost 28-20, then suffered a loss to Henry Clay, 56-28.

A road trip to powerhouse team Scott County High School proved too tough for the boys, adding another loss, 49-0.

“Our schedule doesn’t get much better,” said senior Justin Root, the following Monday after the loss.

The teams’ regular season ended on a high note with a 34-28 win over Mercer County on a snowy senior night.

The draw for playoffs began Nov. 1, and the Bulldogs were drawn to play Central Hardin, who was 10-0. The team traveled to Central Hardin for a season ending loss, 48-16.

“I thought the season was something we all expected,” said defensive back Deranté Sanders. “Inexperienced players and three returning starters on both sides of the ball led to the outcome.”