Lamplighter Media Productions

Filed under Opinion

I Went on 17 College Visits

The college application process can be both exciting and stressful. I just sent in my eleventh and final (as of now) college application and while it feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders I am now filled with new feelings of anticipation and excitement.

Where will I get accepted? And once I get accepted how will I know which school is the perfect school for me?

I have found that at each of my visits, whether it has been an official tour or just my mom and me walking around, being on the campus and seeing the students walk around gives me the feel of if the school is a right fit for me.

Last fall break I went to visit schools in South Carolina. Wofford College, one of the schools, still remains at the top of my list. I didn’t expect to like Wofford at all. People kept telling me that it was nothing special, but when I stepped on campus I couldn’t have disagreed with them more.

As I walked around, I felt like I belonged there and if I had decided not to visit because of what other people told me it wouldn’t be one of my top considerations now. No matter what kind of schools you’re looking for I recommends going to visit the campus before making your final decision about where you are going to attend. I plan on going back to the schools I get accepted to see which one feels like home to me before I make my decision.

However, I know that not everyone has the opportunity to visit the colleges they are applying to.

Another great way to learn more about the schools you are interested in is by signing up to meet with the college representatives that visit our school. There is a list of all the college representatives and admissions counselors that will be visiting Dunbar on Dunbar’s webpage. Sign-ups are available in the CCC.

I have attended several of these meetings and they have been very informative and the representatives have been very helpful in answering any questions I have had about the school as well as the admissions process. I have also gotten to, in most cases, introduce myself to the person that is going to be reviewing my application and be able to get their contact information for any later questions I think of.

Even if you know everything there is to know about the school, it is still good to attend these meetings to show a willingness to take the time to meet with the representative. I wish I had taken advantage of this before my senior year and urge everyone to check out the list to see if any schools they are interested in have representatives visiting Dunbar.

I hope this has been helpful to all those searching for the perfect school for them. I look forward to sharing the rest of my college decision process and seeing where all the other seniors at Dunbar decide to go as well.

About the Writer
Olivia Turner, Editor-in-Chief

Hi, my name is Olivia and I am proud to be one of Lamplighter's Editor -in-Chiefs for the 2018-2019 school year! This year, I will be focusing on our WPLD...