Lamplighter Media Productions

Filed under News

The Corruption of College Admissions

The scandal that has many people unnerved about the acceptance process.

It is no surprise that the admissions process is somewhat biased. However, the corruption of the system has been completely taken advantage of, with people using their money to have power over others.

Colleges like U.C. Berkeley, Yale, Wake Forest, and UCLA, have rigorous requirements to be accepted, making the appeal of these schools even higher. This causes families to go to an extreme to help get their child into the college of their choice.

The bribery scandal that was made public earlier this week, indicted several prominent families that had persuaded various coaches, SAT proctors, and admission officers to get their student admitted.

By means of money in the form of generous donations or direct deposits, these parents made it clear that they would do whatever it takes. Some may call it using a “side door.”

Only a fraction of the population is lucky enough to be offered a spot at one of these schools, and as time has passed it has become more about what you can offer the school financially than your academic excellence or personal character.

At the base of these scandals is a man named William Singer. Wealthy business men, actors, and CEOs have paid him up to 6 million dollars to bribe coaches into making fake athletic accounts to highlight their student.

Singer used a non-profit organization for disabled children as a front to easily access large sums of money from parents without seeming conspicuous. He pleaded guilty and was charged with obstruction of justice, fraud, racketeering, money laundering.

This issue was brought to court to be questioned.

“These parents are a catalog for wealth and privilege,” Attorney Andrew Lelling said.

But in this case their money could not buy them out.

Around 50 people were arrested on Monday, while the universities themselves are not seen to be conspirators. Lelling argues that it is not only a scandal because of the multiple fraud accounts but because for every privileged student admitted, one more worthy of the position was turned away.

About the Writer
Annika Koch, Staff Reporter

My name is Annika Koch, and this is my first year as a Lamplighter staff member. I am a sophomore at Dunbar and am a part of PLD’s swim and dive team....