Lamplighter Media Productions

Filed under A&E

Lexington Latino Festival Kicks off Hispanic Heritage Month

Dunbar student Lizbeth Torres explains what Hispanic Heritage Month means to her.

When I first moved to Lexington, the first thing I noticed that it is really diverse, so as a person of Hispanic descent, my family and I were pleased that Lexington hosts an annual Latino festival at the beginning of the Hispanic Heritage Month.

This year, the Latino Festival began and was held at the Fayette County Circuit Court on Sept. 14.

The festival is a celebration of the Latin American culture and art.

As I arrived at the festival, I first noticed the number of people who were already there. The music was blasting reggaeton and people were dancing. Every year, a group of dancers make their way on the stage and perform a series of dances popular among the Latin American culture.

There were booths full of handmade jewelry, authentic food, and knick-knacks.

A server from El Rinconcito prepares pupusas for guests.

A multitude of the food trucks were restaurants from other parts of the states. A few were El Rinconcito, Holy Guacamole, and Taqueria Jair. 

The most popular foods were pupusas, which are thick tortillas stuffed with cheese, and steak and chicken tacos with homemade guacamole.

The clothing at the festival was also reflective of Hispanic heritage. For instance, many of the male attendees were dressed in soccer jerseys since it is a popular sport in the Latino community. What caught my attention, though, was the wardrobe of the females who wore full body length traditional dance outfits of their country called Jalisco dresses

Dunbar freshman Zuleika Nuñez attended the festival on Saturday.

“It is very important to celebrate where you come from,” she said. “To be part of a community is to be accepted and if you have pride in where you come from [then] people will notice that.”

About the Writer
Lizbeth Torres, Staff Reporter

My name is Lizbeth Torres, I am a junior. I am a staff reporter and this is my first year