Lamplighter Media Productions

Filed under A&E

The Death of Mac Miller

Dunbar students mourn the loss of the popular rapper.

Easy Mac’s fans were confused and appalled on Sept. 7 when news came out that Pittsburgh rap artist, Mac Miller, had passed away.

The cause of his death was reported to be an apparent drug overdose. Law enforcement further informed the public that Miller was found Friday afternoon in his bedroom in San Fernando Valley. He was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Before his death, Miller was in a serious relationship with a female pop artist, Ariana Grande, for almost two years. One of the fallbacks to the relationship was discovered to be his drug abuse that had been an occurring problem for years even before he dated Grande.

“I am not a babysitter…” Grande said to reporters. “Of course, I didn’t share about how hard or scary it was while it was happening, but it was.” 

The rapper reportedly wrecked his G-wagon by wrapping it around a utility pole in May, causing his arrest for DUI and hit and run. Many blamed Grande for his DUI due to the break-up.

“Pls take care of yourself,” Grande said in a tweet expressing her concerns for Miller.

Grande broke her silence on Miller’s death and recently posted on Instagram a nostalgic black and white photo of Miller looking up at her. 

As an artist known to incorporate his struggle with sobriety and life into his music, his death took a larger toll with fans.

“I was heartbroken when I heard yesterday Mac Miller had overdosed,”  senior Jacob Chapman said.  “I was in the car with my friend Elly and we immediately started blaring his music and singing along. I thought he had a beautiful voice and relatable content unlike a lot of other male rappers. Very talented.”

Senior Chase Jacobson said, “My views on Mac Miller before he passed were nothing but positive. I even said about a year prior that Mac Miller surpassed Eminem as the greatest white male rapper of all time. That’s how highly I thought of him and his music.” 

Wrestling with personal abuse and fame, Miller still managed to leave an imprint in the music industry before he passed. Evolving from the stereotype he was given as ‘frat-rap,’ his lyrics often consisted of substance abuse and dealing with depression.

He recently released his fifth album, Swimming, which hit number three on Billboard’s album chart. The tone of the album included electronic blues, cracked vocals, and a weird groove. You can hear the aching in his words like a cry for help.

Miller is still being mourned by friends and music collaborators such as Chance the Rapper, Wiz Khalifa, J. Cole, and Karl-Anthony Towns.

“He was a bright light in this world for his family, friends, and fans,” announced Miller’s family. “Thank you for your prayers.”

About the Writer
Sandy Tang, Social Media/Technology Editor

My name is Sandy Tang and I am currently a senior at Dunbar. I will be the social media/tech editor as my first year on staff! I joined Lamplighter my...