“Make America Great Again”

Jack Stokley, Assistant Broadcast Editor

In the coming November, Americans all across the country will come together to elect our next president. As a high school student it may not seem as important but the cold hard truth is that every vote counts. As a student in the modern generation many of my political views are based on what I see in my day to day life usually via social media. Most of the views on social media are just extreme opinions on why the other opponent is wrong for the job. So knowing I will be voting in the upcoming election I know that it is important to find the facts on all candidates so I can pick the best fit for my wants and needs in a good leader.

When I registered to vote I chose the Republican Party. Because of my strong work ethic, devotion to family, and conservative social values, I decided to register under the GOP. When the election rolls around, there is only one man I want in office and that man is no other than business guru Donald J. Trump. This loud, aggressive, back talking man is exactly what this country needs after the terrible eight years of the Obama Administration. His ideas as a business man are exactly what this country is begging for.

With government assistance at an all-time high, we need to get the American people off the couch and back into the work place. According to the last two censuses the percentage of households receiving government aid has gone up from twenty five percent to forty five percent. Trump’s strong feelings on immigration laws could not more perfectly match my own. The number of illegal “citizens” who have come into the country has increased massively since the Bush Admin. From 2008 the number of illegal immigrants has reached an all-time high of 11.8 million people, for a total of 41 million immigrants, according to the Migration Policy Institute. And only continues to climb.

His ideas as a business man are exactly what this country is begging for.

— Junior Jack Stokley

Now, I am a firm believer that the United States is a place of opportunity and somewhere people can make a life for themselves, but I also believe you must do it the right way. Not only are these illegal families stealing our jobs they are also reaping the benefits that only tax payers should receive. According to The Migration Policy Institute, American tax payers spend over eighty four billion dollars annually to subsidize illegal immigration. If you’re wondering why this makes me so mad, let me tell you that those 84 billion dollars are unnecessary expenses that could be spent on more important things such as our veterans. All I have to say is, build that wall!

Coming from a family that runs a small business, it is extremely important to me that the government lowers taxes on business owners. My family has had nothing handed to us, and we are nowhere near well off; for whatever the reason may be, Bernie Sanders thinks it’s okay to tax the middle and upper-class more and give that money to citizens who live off the government. Obama has set up a world where it is easier to just not go to college, get a minimum wage job, and simply receive government assistance instead of working hard and getting a degree and a job. These are not the values in which America was built, and it cannot continue for another term.

Sanders’ ideas for free college or higher minimum wage may sound like the perfect thing for the lower class, but it will be the pitfall for the rest of the working class. Increasing minimum wage will only cause inflation and will force business leaders to lay off millions and send jobs overseas due to lower production rates. 

After finding the facts and comparing my options, I think he will make a great leader.

— Junior Jack Stokley

Trump’s immigration ideas are not the only thing we see eye to eye on, as a businessman Trump’s plan to bring jobs back to the US is also high on my priority list. While Democrats are busy begging for fifteen dollars an hour to flip burgers, kids in china are making our clothes for sixty cents a day. With these numbers, it is no wonder why all the jobs are overseas. With the 2016 election looking more like a boxing match than a political race, it is important to have a leader who stands his ground and is not afraid to say what he’s thinking.

In order for the Republicans to take back the White House, we need a nominee who is more than capable of taking down Hillary Clinton. If I’m going to be honest, if you were to tell me I’d be voting for Donald Trump to be the most powerful man in the world, I’d initially call you crazy. However, after finding the facts and comparing my options, I think he will make a great leader. Make America Great Again.

*This story was corrected on April 6.

Original: Current number of illegal immigrants is 41 million

Correction: Current number of total immigrants is 41 million