Dunbar’s Student Voice Team Now Taking Applications

Applications are due to Mrs. Turner in Room 203 on Jan. 13.

The Paul Laurence Dunbar student voice team (SVT) was a new initiative this year started by Dunbar English teacher and PLD Lamplighter adviser, Mrs. Wendy Turner. The team consists of 30 students from varied demographics proportionally representing the Dunbar student body. They meet during CCR block to discuss issues within the school system that they believe are relevant.

“It is a way for the students to feel empowered and that they are truly partners in their own education,” Mrs. Turner said.

Dunbar Student Voice Team members at the Superintendent’s Voice Team meeting on Dec. 4.

The group has been working efficiently these past few months and has a lot of accomplishments to be proud of. SVT members are now serving as consultants on the Standards Based Grading committee, they serve as members of the superintendent’s voice team, reporting the team’s work at the district level. Two students from the team–one underclassman and one upperclassman–will be chosen to serve as consultants (non-voting members) on the site-based decision making council.

In addition, the team has created several short video diaries focusing on individual students and their perspectives towards the school system, helping bridge communication between the students and teachers.

In the next few months, the student voice team will continue to serve as consultants on decision-making committees, working with the superintendent voice team, and making video diaries, in addition to the new and exciting projects they will be taking on. SVT members will be working with the GEAR UP program to coordinate CCR lesson plans/ideas. And members will join the Positive Behavior Interventions and Support group (PBIS) to help create a more positive school environment.

If you wish to be a part of this initiative, the applications for the spring semester student voice team are now outside Mrs. Turner’s room (203) and are due on Jan. 13. The application consists of a student information section in addition to a teacher referral. Students in all grades of all levels are welcome to apply.